Operations research, spring 2011. Lecture notes in Icelandic [.pdf 1.3Mb].
Operations research, spring 2012. Brochure [.pdf 92Kb].
Teaching Studies for Higher Education
Alongside teaching Operations Research at the Engineering department I have started working on a postgraduate diploma in Teaching Studies for Higher Education taught at the Faculty of Teacher Education at the University of Iceland. The degree consists of three courses, namely:
- Introduction to Teaching Studies at the University Level, KEN212F, fall 2010. [Reading journal: .pdf 291Kb].
- Course Design, Assessment and Evaluation, KEN103F, spring 2011. [Detailed report: .pdf 1.8Mb].
- Reflective Practice and Professional Development, KEN004F, TBA.
In order to grasp the fundamentals and obtain deep knowledge in subjects in mathematics and engineering I recommend, teachers and students alike, to read the book How to Solve It by the mathematician George Polya. He suggests a simple four step plan for solving any mathematical problem:
- First, understand the problem.
- After understanding, devise a plan.
- Carry out the plan.
- Look back on your work and see if you can make it better.
Tips and tricks on how to achieve your goal is described in the book. A definite must read: G. Polya, “How to Solve It”, 2nd ed., Princeton University Press, 1957 [.pdf 4.8Mb].